Who said November in London was boring? This month sees London’s latest restaurant openings of over 30 new restaurants in London so we have selected our favourite few restaurants in two areas we love to luxuriate in.
London’s latest restaurant openings: Mayfair
The Grill at The Dorchester
The Grill at the Dorchester isn’t new but after a full refurbishment and appointment of gifted young head chef Tom Booton, The Grill enters a new era with an overhaul of the whole offering, spearheaded by a brand new menu to hero British produce. New beginnings to bring back fine dining without the formality from fresh banquet seating, pottery from Peckham to music choice will add a more intimate feel and give The Grill a different vibe.
When – 12 November 2019.
Where – The Dorchester Hotel, 53 Park Lane.
Food – Some items that have been on the menu since day one have been replaced so expect a produce led British menu giving some classic favourites a modern twist. A sneak peak of Tom’s new signature dishes include: Stout bread with black pudding and freshly churned butter, prawn scotch egg and a much talked about lobster thermidor tart (above).
A pudding bar has also been built and diners are invited to visit the bar to choose puddings including a fig leaf ice cream and an interpretation of that classic chocolate treat, the ‘Double Decker’. The pudding bar will also have seats for an interactive experience with the pastry team.
Drinks – The bar counter at The Grill will be used for pre-dinner cocktails with a new cocktail list created by head bartender Lucia Montanelli. Our favourite – The ‘Tiddly Wink’ with gin, sloe gin, rhubarb and rosemary syrup, topped with the finest English sparkling wine.
Insider tip – Table 23 is a cosy corner table with a fantastic view of the pudding bar and the entire restaurant.
Click here to find out more
London’s latest restaurant openings: The City
This is the latest opening from the charming D&D restaurant group and they have really gone all out this time, creating an all-day destination restaurant, bar and deli in a lush garden style interior with trees and a canopy of evergreen plants growing across the ceiling. Inspired by its botanical interiors, 14 Hills has partnered with the charity One Tree Planted to support reforestation projects around the world.
When – 11 November 2019.
Where – You guessed it, the 14th floor of 120 Fenchurch Street. Expect views of great London landmarks including Tower Bridge, the Shard and Canary Wharf.
Food – Chef Thomas Piat’s menu will focus on modern British cooking with a touch of French flair. Signature dishes will include a sharing dish of venison: Roast saddle, venison pie, venison bone marrow, long pepper & whisky sauce and an already Instagram famous starter of white crab, cauliflower and oscietra caviar.
Drinks – Your eyes are automatically drawn to an oval onyx bar in the middle of 14 Hills which opens till 1.30am on Fridays and Saturdays. A must try cocktail is a Lavender Hill with Pothecary gin infused Lavender, cherry liquor, Grand Marnier, lemon and the ultimate showstopper – an edible smoke dome on top that bursts into a dramatic puff of smoke as the drink is served.
Insider tip – It’s all about the view right? Table 103 is the one you want for city skyscrapers or table 505 for full on river and bridge views. Their private dining room (which seats 22) also has jaw dropping vistas.
Click here to find out more
This is the latest opening from Richard Corrigan, legendary chef and London’s king of oysters. Most of the produce will come from Virginia Park Lodge, Richard’s country estate in Ireland. Named after the daughter of Biddy Mulligan (a legendary Dublin street seller), Daffodil Mulligan is set to showcase her Irish spirit and hospitality in London.
When – 8 November 2019.
Where – 70-74 City Road.
Food – Expect amazing Irish ingredients and international food influences with wild, flavour-rich and unpretentious cooking and a spotlight on seafood.
Drinks – A late basement saloon bar will include cocktails and also live music nights. The bar will serve a selection of craft beers and spirits and will focus on smaller Irish distilleries and producers – many of which will be available exclusively.
Insider tip – There will be an intimate 10 seater oyster bar so be sure to take a perch and enjoy some natives.
Click here to find out more
London’s latest restaurant openings: Other notable November openings
- Sam’s Riverside – With one of the best river views in London by Hammersmith Bridge and a large terrace, Sam’s will showcase modern European cuisine from chauteaubriand and oysters through to Sunday roasts.
- Sussex – Three brothers celebrate their Sussex heritage in Soho with some must try dishes including volcano bread, a range of wellingtons and wines from their Sussex vineyard Nutbourne.
- Davies and Brook at Claridge’s Hotel – World renowned New York chef Daniel Humm takes the helm at the epitome of timeless elegance that is Claridge’s.
- Amazónico – This popular Madrid restaurant arrives in London and will offer an explosion of the senses with live music, lush natural décor and a Latin American culinary experience from traditional
Brazilian dishes and cachaça cocktails to Peruvian sushi.
- Le Comptoir Robuchon – The memory and legacy of the late Joël Robuchon (who mentored the likes of Gordon Ramsay) lives on in Mayfair, showcasing his classic dishes and other seasonal offerings.
- Moto – Sake is the most under rated liquid so we are ecstatic that Moto are bringing Japanese eating and drinking to Covent Garden. Expect independent craft and rare sakes as well as Japanese spirits (including gin and shōchū) sourced direct from small Japanese producers.
- The Ivy Asia – This new Asian concept restaurant and bar will have panoramic views of St Paul’s Cathedral and a blingy interior with illuminated floors, 12ft samurai warriors and a gold mirrored bar open till 2am on weekends. The menu will feature Asian inspired plates including sushi, sashimi, curries, black cod and much more.
- Great Scotland Yard Hotel – Robin Gill and team will head up all things food and beverage at this exciting new hotel opening. The signature restaurant of the hotel on the ground floor (The Yard) will be offer modern British cooking with that Robin Gill flair.